Monday, June 02, 2008

Belated Memorial Day Post

Memorial Day weekend we went to Spokane, where John was signed up to participate in a bicycle race. Spokane is a very long way from here, 8 hours or so. We couldn't leave until after 10:00 Friday night, when John got off call. The race started at noon Saturday. John and the kids slept in the car, I drove. Even after a 45 minute nap at a rest stop, I just couldn't drive the last hour, so John had to do it. We got to the race site a little before 6:00 AM, set up the tent and napped for an hour and a half.

The race was a 24 hour mountain bike "Round and Round" on a 15 mile course near the Spokane River, with some pretty mean hills. John was on a two(officially)/3(unofficially) man team. John did two laps (his team-mate, George, did EIGHT, the unofficial team-mate, Stan, did three.) His first lap was at 3:00 in the afternoon, and the second one at 1:00 AM. Here he is after his first lap:

John After 1st Lap R&R Memorial Day '08

I was not there after the second lap. I was in bed, in a motel, with a cushy bed and real running water. I did get up and drive him back to the race after he had a shower and a nap, so I don't feel entirely guilty.

John and his team were not in medal contention. But they had fun. . . I think.

Spokane is a long drive. A really long drive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home