Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Pincushion Swap

I know Carina has received her package for the pincushion swap, because she left me lovely feedback, so it's safe for me to post pictures without spoiling the surprise.

Pincushion Swap I

These are my first pincushions and they were so much fun to make (once I got started.) The hedgehog is made around a polished stone, and he has a nice weight to him. The cup is tiny, and handthrown by someone named "Suz," and was a thriftshop find. My kids noticed right away that it looked like a little cup of coffee, and that was exactly what I was going for.

I like swaps. I like the challenge of creating something I haven't made before, or showing off something I do well. I like putting together packages for someone else. Working on a deadline is also good for me, and something I am working to improve on. Time is often in short supply at my house, and I'm sort of disorganized by nature, so that's another real challenge. But that's another thing I like about swaps, and about having my own blog to feed--it forces me to FIND time to make things, which I enjoy, but otherwise might not otherwise take the time to do.

Bookmark Swap

I almost swore off swaps entirely after someone severely ding-ed me in Swap-bot feedback for being late with this package (above) for a bookmark swap. I was late, but I included a note of apology/explanation and tried to make it a particularly nice package, but she was still unhappy and exaggerated about just how late I was. Ironically it was someone who had poor feedback herself for sending inappropriate things or not sending anything at all on several occasions. I hate having imperfect feedback. I feel like I'm marked with a scarlet letter---maybe "T" for tardy? Sigh. I decided to suck it up and deal with it, and just work harder at getting things out on time. I've met some really wonderful people through swaps, and I wouldn't want to give that up.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amanda Hunt said...

That's a shame that you got such a bad rating, some people aren't very understanding! How could they be annoyed at you, you're one of the best swappers around!

6:41 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

Had the same thing happen to me at swap-bot but fortunately she reversed it. The thing I try to tell myself with the swaps is that it is a mystery this whole thing with strangers and all. I love the mystery and the wonderful surprises I learn about the goodness and creativeness of people. I remind myself too that I have to put up with flawed folks who do the swaps too. They are life's leading indicators that there are still painfully damaged individuals out there...

6:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home