Thursday, January 14, 2010

Karmic Smackdown

I don't know if it was just me or the whole family, but we had a run of bad happenings yesterday, all discovered in the same hour in the middle of the day. Audrey missed the shuttle bus from her Metals class at Mark Morris H.S. to her Ceramics class at RA Long H.S., so she walked home (which is between the two) in the rain. The mail came as we were walking out the door to take her back to school, and I received a $287 ticket from a red light camera in Portland (we were there a couple of weeks ago and I was lost and looking at street signs and didn't even see the red light.) As Audrey and I were pulling out of the neighborhood, we noticed some a**hole had vandalized James' Jetta and smashed in the two front, side windows ($200 apiece to have fixed.)

Knowledge Bowl had their third meet last night, and for the third time this season the Varsity team placed second behind Mark Morris, and the JV team placed not last. That part of the day went surprisingly well, except for the part where John had to drive the Jetta with clear vinyl shower curtain duct taped where the windows should have been (actually, one of the Seniors decided to drive himself, and three other players bailed and went with him.)

Today marks one week on the Medifast diet for me. In case you aren't familiar with it, for 5 small "meals" a day I have my choice of bars (edible,) and other dehydrated food which is reconstituted with water, including pudding (somewhat edible,) soup (just barely edible with lots of added salt,) shakes (gritty and unpleasant,) or oatmeal (really, truly, unpleasantly inedible, but I don't like the texture of cooked oatmeal.) Then one meal a day I may have "Lean + Green," meaning a serving of lean protein and some kind of leaves. That meal is great, and I look forward to it all day. Unpleasant though it may be, I have lost 5 pounds in the first week. I ran into an aquaintance last weekend I hadn't seen in a while, and after being on the diet since September, she has lost 47 lbs. Sigh. I told John I would do it for 4 months. . .yuck.

I am working on knitting my first sweater. I started small----kids' size 7 or 8, for the latest Afghans for Afghans campaign. I'm using a kit from KnitPicks, and it was all going just fine until I got the first sleeve done according to the directions and went "Hmmmm....that's awfully short." The problem with just adding more rows is that the silly thing is striped, and to keep it in pattern where it joins the body I would have to commit to two more stripes, which might be too long, plus I bound off 10 stitches where it attatches to the body.

I am also in the Ravelry St. Patrick's Day swap. I'm stalking my partner on-line (hard, since she didn't list a Flickr account or a blog) and trying to put together a good surprise box for her. I had ordered a good selection of green yarn ahead of time only to find out she prefers her fibers to be machine washable (darn, I have to keep the alpaca.) I went by the bead store today and picked up a couple Celtic charms and some really nice Malachite. I just need to settle down and get stuff done.

Actually, I should probably get off-line and get some other stuff done.


Blogger Deborah said...

good thing you stayed online long enough for the post! Glad to hear all about your adventures, however gloomy and good to see you are still there on the internets!

I'm also on a diet, since June. I stopped eating wheat, sugar (except for chocolate, LOL), dairy (except occasionally cheese), and caffeine.

I pay attention to how I combine food and I take a bunch of supplements. I feel great. Good luck with your diet plan!

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home